Old 12-01-16, 08:45 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I don't let people know I'm passing them and don't like to be told I'm being passed. I can see them in my mirror and it's annoying to me if they have to announce it to the entire world that they're passing.
Not sure if trolling or just the worst opinion ever?

Originally Posted by Tombaatar
As I had stated I ride almost exclusively on MUP's, which are 8 to 10 feet wide usually. There are some more narrow (sections of Braes Bayou) so it is almost impossible to pass by a wide margin.
Look, everyone has a different thing they do, but when it comes down to it, the right thing to do, is to always announce. Always. Whether it's verbally, or a bell. Just like how the right thing to do when driving is to always signal a lane change, or a turn with your signal light. No, not everyone does it, but they should.
I ride the MUPs here in HTX almost daily when commuting to work (Terry Hershey), and on weekends through Bush Park, and out on the roads toward Fulshear. Especially on paths with walkers and runners, I cannot tell you how many "thank you!"s and waves I get when I announce I am passing. I do the same thing for cyclists I pass.

The reason? Nothing can cause more danger than someone being surprised you're all of a sudden RIGHT THERE. It may discombobulate a cyclist and cause them to veer and crash. This almost happened to me once. You never know when a runner or walker is going to pivot and turn. It gives people with dogs a chance to reel in the leash so it doesn't dash across the path in front of you.

Oh, also, it's common f'ing courtesy.

And nothing pisses me off more than a cyclist coming in the opposite direction that does not slow down, and wait for oncoming walkers/runners/cyclists to pass before going around someone in front of them. Heaven forbid you break your cadence or slow down for that extra 4 seconds! No, instead they squeeze dangerously between parties at a wooshing 16mph without giving a ****. These are the people that give cyclists a bad name. Don't be that guy.

Not everyone will hear you. Runners usually have headphones. Some moron stupid terrible awful dip**** cyclists will also wear headphones. But you still announce. Sometimes if I know they don't hear me, when I get really close I say on your left again, louder. Then they usually do. And it begs the question - why wouldn't you? It takes no extra time, and literally no effort to be safe.

So, yes, always announce when you're passing.