Old 12-01-16, 04:31 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Not trolling. Just my opinion. What's common courtesy to you isn't common courtesy to others. If you're not paying attention to your surroundings that's your problem, not mine. For example; I usually cruise around 20mph on my unloaded bike. If you're going 10mph then you'll see me gaining ground on you pretty quick. Common sense says I'll be passing you. If you don't see me you're not paying attention. As for runners waiting to pass? We have way too many of them to wait for here. There needs to be a minimum speed limit on bike paths. Slowing down and breaking cadence because other people around you aren't paying attention is a huge inconvenience to me. I wear headphones but only one earbud at a time.
Dude.
I'm fully aware of what's ahead of me and to the side of me on an MUP, because that's where the possible issues come from - not from behind. No, I can't see you gaining on my because I don't have eyes in the back of my head - no matter how many times I told my class of 5th graders I did. It's your responsibility to announce your presence. Even if someone has a mirror, they may not always be looking in it.

And the very nature of an MUP means there will be multiple users in different modes. You're being incredibly self-centered about your presence there.

It's not a matter of paying attention - runners and walkers also do not have eyes in the back of their heads - should they also be carrying mirrors with them? And people coming toward you are absolutely paying attention by the very nature of their relative position, but you, as the passer from the opposite direction, have the responsibility to wait to pass traffic in front of you when there is oncoming traffic. Just like you would in a car - i mean, you wouldn't pull into the lane of oncoming traffic to pass someone going slow if there was a car coming at you in the other lane, would you?
You said this is a huge inconvenience to you. You are the outlier here. You are the one being dangerous.

Originally Posted by practical
I usually say "On your left," and that is what most people do where I live. I live in Vermont but that seems to be rule any where I've ridden in New England. I rode in Ohio a couple of summers ago and it was common there too. Most people are trained to walk or ride on the right side of the lane and naturally go right when they hear "on your left."
Yeah I think it's pretty universal. I've also never had people move to the left. Ever.

Originally Posted by Ty0604
Yeah, you should. If I startle someone like you when passing that's your fault for not being aware of your surroundings. Where I live it's illegal not to have a mirror if riding on bike paths. Those without mirrors are restricted to the sidewalks.
Do you have a link to these laws? That sounds pretty weird, and I'd love to compare them to my city's.