View Single Post
Old 12-02-16, 10:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
But Citi Bike has already expanded into Jersey City. Staten Island shouldn't be much more difficult.
Good point. The funny thing about it is that the demand might well be lower on Staten Island because nearly the whole island is suburban, and no one would want to ride between another borough and Staten Island on Citi Bike. The ferry ride would make you exceed your time limit. You can't ride on the Verrazano Bridge on any bike. And I don't think you would ride over the Bayonne Bridge and to Jersey City. So it's self contained, which would contain the balancing problem onto Staten Island as it is in Jersey City. (You're not allowed to cross the Hudson with a bike.)

The Bronx could be more challenging to keep balanced etc, but I'm sure demand would be higher. Not everyone in the Bronx leaves the Bronx, so there would be plenty of intra-borough trips.

I read that in Paris, they give (or gave) incentives to ride uphill, since so many bikes left the hilltop at Monmartre. I don't remember if you get a free ride for starting at the bottom and ending at the top or if they actually put money in your account, but I gather it worked somewhat. I wonder if they would do that in the Bronx which has some very hilly parts.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.