Old 12-14-05, 04:52 PM
spandexwarrior

Bikes: Felt F80, Cannondale F400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I know, another study. Ugh! This one does have some interesting information. For one thing it has a graphic which shows the time spent working to pay for one's mode of transit. This is juxtaposed against another graphic showing travel time. The end result is that you can see how much of your time your transit mode demands from you. These results are broken down by income brackets, as the less money you make, the more time you have to work to pay for transit. The VC advocates will love this statement made in the study:
However, the facility designs preferred by novice cyclists are sometimes disliked by experienced road cyclists. If changes in facilities end up worsening conditions for experienced cyclists who do the majority of travel by bicycle, the total amount of bicycle transportation may actually decrease.Many existing cyclists care more about the conditions they face on a day-to-day basis than the overall popularity of their travel mode. These cyclists may exhibit skepticism toward plans to make cycling more popular if it is not clear that such plans will preserve or improve conditions for their own cycling habits
I'm inclined to like that statement, too. If bike lanes meant my being banned from roads, I'd fight alongside Helmet Head to stop them.

Factors which Affect Utilitarian Cycling Study