Old 12-20-16, 07:15 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FInish4Finn
One should note that upgrading a bike or buying a less expensive bike doesn't mean more maintenance. Every rider should know how to replace a chain, grease the barrings and clean the bike after a ride. I wonder how many actually do that and go as far as hitting it with a few gusts from the compressor with the final wipe down. After a 40 mile commute to and from college I don't see any difference in maintaining one's bike whether it be my folding bike or road bike. It would be no difference between a higher price folding bike and a inexpensive one. Simply take care of your bike and you will get what you put into it. Never have I ever gone into a sale of a bike and said, "I'm going to buy this $5000 30th Anniversary Dahon bicycle because it will require less maintenance over that guy's entry level." It's obsurd. It will still rust if you leave it out in the rain.
I would have to disagree, at least as far as cartridge bearings in headsets, bottom brackets, wheels and pedals are concerned. Tires, chains and frames are different, of course.