Old 12-22-16, 08:46 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It may be a little insensitive to ask on this thread, but it seems on topic so ... if you were going to let your friend buy a cheap folding bike, which would it be? For just recreational use, a couple of times a year on business trips.
Ok I will tell you the minimums I would look for in a friends inexpensive bike.

8 or more gears on the rear Cassette hub. Make sure it is a cassette hub and not a freewheel. This allows you to have a 2 tooth smaller high gear. One of the real limitation with small wheels is high gear.

Aluminum wheels

Aluminum frame---not a necessity but usually a couple pounds lighter than a steel frame.

20" wheels, either 406 or 451. I prefer 406 because of more tires available.

The advantage to 16" wheels is the package can be smaller but 20" will usually have much wider gearing.

Derailler gearing, not Internal Geared Hub (IGH)--IGH are usually more expensive without as wide of gearing and the IGH is heavier and usually pretty expensive. Others here will disagree and they are right for their own uses.

I would do regular pedals and have a pedal wrench along---I don't like folding pedals.

I like having adjustable handlebar height also---not a necessity.

Dahon makes pretty good stuff and good stuff with prices all over the map.

Really nice bike for the money---not cheap
Dahon MU SL11 20" Folding Bike, Brushed/Red Shimano 105 Shifter and Derailleur | eBay

I know the guy will take $560 for this bike---great value

Dahon Mu D10 20" Folding Bicycle, Brushed Alum/Red with Video 10 Sp Tiagra Shift | eBay

While I love the Look of a one speed, I need gears and I want a high one and low one...