View Single Post
Old 01-01-17, 12:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I wouldn't call 9 speed unreliable (unlike old Shimano road 10 speed). I'd call 8 (and 7) speed MORE reliable.

9 speed vs 8 speed:

Narrower chain not readily available in less developed parts. While 8 speed can work with 6 to 9 speed chains, vice-versa is not possible.

More tightly spaced sprockets, making the system more sensitive to any RD misalignment, and RD pivot play, any problems with cables and housing. Also a bit harder to use in friction mode - again, tightly spaced sprockets.
Interesting. I expect my 9sp touring bike to be trouble free with typical maintenance for at least 10000 miles. If my chain doesnt last at least a couple thousand miles, ill be annoyed...and i dont expect i will be annoyed. My 9sp bar end shifters should last well past when i want to change bikes in however many years, and i got em used to begin with.

I get that the chain is narrower. It just isnt common for 9sp chains to fail though.

The argument that 7sp is available anywhere, while perhaps true, isnt applicable to probably 90% of tourers and touring miles. How many touers go to rural Laos or wherever and find themselves stuck because they dont use a 7sp drivetrsin? Compared to the number of people who tour in Europe, North America, etc where 9sp is extremely common and often available within a day's travel or within a couple days by mail?

The number of tourers tsking their bike to 3rd world/undeveloped riding spots is extremely small within the touring community. Most ride supported tours or unsupported in developed regions.

Its just a nonissue at this point, unless you are going to undeveloped land, and even then the odds are small there would be an issue.