Old 01-20-17, 09:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've seen every type of bollard or post mentioned in the video above in use here in California-- and frankly, the dude complains too much. In order to keep cars off of the trails-- and the burnout marks you find in isolated areas proves that even the posts are not always effective-- you could find yourself where many of the California trails have ended up: the entrances of the trail are completely blocked by locked swing gates, and you get to dismount and snake-walk your bike through these horrible wooden contraptions designed to prevent the passage of anything going faster than about 1mph. I can't even google search for it, I have no idea what to even call it.

As to the Toronto situation, yeah, they need to put up posts. Otherwise, cars are going to continue to enter the bike lane, whether or accident or on purpose. I mean, do you know how many cars I've had to go around that are parked literally next to a sign that reads NO PARKING OR STOPPING IN BIKE LANE?

And lastly-- who runs into a pole? Do they hit every pothole, too? Those are seldom marked. Maybe it's because I'm so acclimated to them here, but when I approach an intersection or junction, I just assume there's going to be bollards. I'm just happy when it isn't a gate.