View Single Post
Old 01-25-17, 12:34 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Is the whole road the bikeway, or just the narrow area to the side, which looks an awful lot like a sidewalk to me... especially when viewing the outside tunnel view, and the short sidewalk outside of the tunnel.

In fact you state: "It's got some serious concrete pillars between the road and the bikeway..." So it IS a roadway... with what appears to be a sidewalk... just where is it designated "for bikes?"
I was saying this somewhat tongue-in-cheek... yes, I'm referring to the sidewalk ... There is simply NO Way a car could hit a bike or a pedestrian , the concrete pillars are too thick...

This is rural West Virginia... I have seen other railroad overpasses with four-lane roads under them ... Often , the sidewalk/bikeway is several feet higher than the roadway, so it is the ONLY way to get through after a heavy rain (flooding of the roadway)...

I didn't mean to upset you by suggesting you should use the sidewalk, feel free to take the lane. But you also should consider the darkness of a tunnel... Are you riding with tail lights? Can you reach to turn the tail lights on without dismounting?

It's a reductio ad absurdem, a protected Bike Lane could be built with much, much smaller concrete pillars than what I depicted, and still be "collision proof". I hope you saw the humor in it.