OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by berts
cyclezen
thanks for the input. i'm setting up a program of my own with the same "no solid hammer" "spiritual element" stipulations. That SM 4 mi 9% grade sounds pretty good.
We'll all have to compare notes as the early season progresses. It'll be interesting to see what 'works' for each of us, along with any new observations any of us might come up with.
As Boulder Keith noted, 'technique' is fundamental in my estimation. There's hardly a ride where I;m not evaluating my technique. In fact, its really hard to ride at any higher cadence and not notice the 'irregularities' in the pedal motion.
Something else I add at the end of most training rides, with the last 4 miles or so, is one-legged pedaling.
Pull out of one side and pedal only with one leg for .5 mi distance, keeping cadence at least 75, preferrably 80-85. Once the stroke 'breaks down' in smoothness and gets really choppy, I clip back in, recover for a 1/4 mi or so and then singleleg the other side. Its amazing how much of our pedaling smoothness relies on the opposing weight and force of the upstroking leg. Anyway, this has proven to be a good exercise for me over the years.
Lets all keep 'in touch' on how our own progress is going and what stages we're in. This is all new territory for me; after an almost 8 year layoff from competition and just plain riding, nothing is as it was 8 years ago. Not sure what the potential might be, but the progress made so far is encouraging and hopeful to be more than just competitive.
San Marcos, for a lot of reasons, is one of my favorite climbs and rides. Not the hardst in the area, but one of the more enjoyable ones.
Knowing only what I see of Israel from news reports and the occassional travelogue, I expect you prolly have some considerable climbing opportunities as well.