Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by diamondback
I've never owned one but it looks like a good bike and I am familiar with REI. In your price range their are so many good hardtails with premium brand names that have better resale when your done with it. A Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc is only about $499, and that extra money could go for a new york lock or some gear. Giant Ranier is good too but a little pricey. If you really want to fall off rocks the Specialized P1 or P2. Giant and Trek both make full suspension bikes for under $500. The Giant has the better shock but I've never ridden it. Trek builds a lot of hardtail for the dollar. Navaro is OK bike but people think it's XMart due to the name and only want to pay $40 for it unless they're really know bikes. Have fun.
I really know bikes but because of the lack of a big name wouldn't pay the same for that bike as a giant. It has nothing to do with knowing bikes. I dont trust companies whos frames haven't been proven to ME. If someone in the industry I trust tells me they are good then I would consider it.

Here is my take and it is similar to Diamondback's. It is a similar price to some very well known and popular brands with excellent customer service. Go for the bigger brands with known customer service. Its really that simple in my eyes. Even if the components are lower end it doesn't matter. Components are relatively cheap to upgrade. Good quality frames are not so easy.

Cheers.