Old 02-17-17, 12:08 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I only patch if I'm out of tubes. Always ride w 2 tubes + 3 kinds of patches. I just keep buying them every year & throw them in my bag. I shud really go thru them & see what I have, & if any can be discarded. guess I have a lazy side :/
I tend to do this too. The only time I ever patch a tire on the road is if I've already used the spare tube and then got another flat (and that hasn't happened yet). I keep a pile of tubes that were punctured and then when I've got some free time and nothing better to do I patch the old tubes, put them in baggies and toss them in my spare tube container.

I bought some tubes recently because I somehow found myself in a position where most of my spare tubes had valves that were too short for the rims that I use on most of my bikes. It also didn't help that I bought a bunch of frames last year and built them up. I feel like I shouldn't ever need new tubes, but somehow I keep finding myself going through the pile of spares and not finding any that I'm happy with. On the other hand, I have a great supply of tubes that don't fit any tire I still own.

Answering the original question, I bought a pack of 100 Rema patches and have been very happy with them. It's much more economical than individual patch kits, and you don't end up having to use those ridiculous larger sizes to patch the small punctures. I mean, seriously, how often do you get a cut in the tube that requires a 1 inch patch?

The only patches I have used that I wouldn't recommend are the Park glueless patches. They're convenient (as long as it isn't raining) but they don't bond well enough to be permanent but stick a little too well to be temporary.