Old 02-23-17, 07:33 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 417 Posts
On a cross country trip that included about one night a week in a motel room, my average nightly lodging cost was around $10. The non-motel nights were always free. Do what's explained so well in post #5.

A traveling partner told me he has spent nights in Home Depot garden sheds in urban areas, presumably without permission so that was trespassing. (Now, every time I walk through a HD parking lot, I'm afraid to look inside those.) Another told me he got evicted by the local LEO from under the highway bridge, but I've done that successfully. Be aware of flash flood danger in the West.

Often you can cycle till dusk, push through the bush along the roadside, lie down and sleep until dawn.

I'll stress the point of asking permission on private property. With a friendly attitude and a smile and some small talk, and after picking up the tab for coffee or beer, you'll usually get it.

(You might need to talk about human waste disposal--ask if you can dig a hole, use the family bathroom if it's a backyard situation, or if there's a public privy nearby.)