Old 02-26-17, 08:26 PM
Turbotandem

Bikes: Paketa V2r di2, C-Dale MT 3000, Teesdale, 1963 Huffy Daisey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle

While in Tucson we had a wee problem with the Lightning spider lock ring coming loose on the drive side, and so I had to order up another Lightning lock ring tool for quick delivery (I had left our tool at home). To be fair, the lock ring probably came loose due to my initial fiddling and remounting various spiders without re-applying any additional thread lock compound (ie: blue Locktite). Once I got the new tool and blue Locktite applied, no further problem. No issues with the timing side SWorks spiders coming loose, just the drive side.
Our expierence with lightning drive side spider is that the action of the captain's pedal stroke coming thru the spider in a CW force, then at time the captain's stroke pauses while the stoker pushes produces the usual CCW action on the lock ring. This Back and forth CW to CCW force are not anticipated in the Lock ring no matter how well the loctite is applied. We've had several work loose. The solution that seems to solve the tandem specific failure is to put an intervening very thin washer just below the lock ring. I cut my washer from a soda can, but there are standard washers like for bottom bracket spacers that fit.