View Single Post
Old 02-26-17, 11:19 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
I assume that's because this and other surveys I've seen ask extensive questions about the speed and volume of motor vehicle traffic, harassment & assault by motorists, choice of route to avoid traffic, etc, but ignore problems like signals that won't change, bike lanes that are 2' wide, or bad road surfaces.

My impression from discussions with the planners at public meetings is that they do not believe bicyclists are allowed to use the general travel lane when a bike lane is present (even filled with 2'-3' of snow from the road), but that they don't see blocking the bike lane with snow as a problem since they've said bicyclists should not be riding in rush hour, at night, in snow etc.

I find badly designed and maintained facilities to be a bigger hazard than most motorists (most local drivers are smarter than the planners). Generally these survey seem to be intended to justify more facilities, so they need to be specific on the hazards they consider (i.e. scary drivers, not facilities that violate weak standards).

When it snows nobody expects you to be riding a bike. A bike lane is often next to the area where cars park as well. But a bike lane is not mandatory. If it would help you to know we had snow piled taller than me on the side of some roads (I'm 5' 8") and on top of that it was not a condition that I would ever ride on!

Don't you have buses?