Old 03-01-17, 08:53 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
...What I really want to do is take a boat from Port Renfrew to Bamfield. Supposedly there is a water taxis but the information is sketchy.

Coastal Sea Ventures ? Come see what Vancouver Island is all about
I've never done that one, but you can bet your big, green, American dollars that's gonna be pricey.

Because touring on the North Olympic Peninsula is quite comparable to touring on Vancouver Island anyway, try this:

Assuming a starting point in Seattle, I'd pedal up to Edmonds and take the ferry across there, ride up to Port Townsend, then head to Port Angeles. You can take the Olympic Discovery Trail almost all the way from PT to PA. PA itself has some great day rides: Hurricane Ridge, Spruce Trail around Lake Crescent, Olympic Hot Springs, Elwha River mouth on the Lower Elwha Res... I'd be happy to play tour guide for you on some of these, if you catch me at a time I can take a day off.

From PA, ferry to Victoria, then do whatever you want on Vancouver Island. Go west on the Galloping Goose, it's a nice flat ride going to Sooke, and then beyond, less flat. Ride up island if you want, or cross over to the San Juans from Sydney, hop from island to island as you go. It's been 30+ years since I've done that, so I defer to whatever the guidebooks tell you on how to approach it. Once you're done with the San Juans, get the ferry to Anacortes and so forth back to Seattle, maybe going down by way of Whidbey Island and/or LaConner, etc.

Or do the whole thing in reverse order. It'd be really easy to burn a whole week making that loop, with side trips and misc exploring.

In Port Angeles, you have to stay at the Downtown Hotel, of course. Apart from your tent, it'll be the cheapest lodging on your whole trip. And I'll buy you a beer
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 03-01-17 at 09:59 PM.