Old 03-04-17, 02:06 PM
masterchief

Bikes: 2016 All City Macho Man, 2017 Trek 520, 1997 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Commuter-tourer Trek 520 build advice/sanity check

I'm looking for comments and general advice and opinions on my upcoming build, see the spec below.

Background:
I want to build myself a good quality daily commuter that I can also go touring on for a couple of weeks in the summer. I'm a reasonably skilled home mechanic, I build my road bike last spring from the frame and up, and I'm learning to do handbuild wheels as well. My daily commute is 30 mins on bike each way with a few hills in between, and I use my bike for almost everything. My girlfriend and I want to go touring here in Europe for some weeks in the summer, mainly on paved roads.

My spec so far:
Frame + fork - The Trek 520 geometry appeals to me, and since my lbs can get the lovely green canti/v-brake version frame for me, that is the frame I'm basing this on. The LHT has been on my list as well, but I wont be needing the extra tire clearance, and I like the 520 geometry better.

Hubs - Deore LX T670 front + rear
Rims - DT Swiss TK 540 32h (maybe a 36h rear)
Spokes - DT Competition
Tires - Panaracer Pasela PT, 32c or 35c.

Shifters - Tiagra ST-4700 2x10 speed
Rear derailer - Deore RD-T610
Front derailer - Tiagra FD-4700, I have one laying around, but I'm honestly not sure if it will work with the 38-24t rings of the deore crankset, when it's intended for road size rings. But then agian, the difference between the 38t and 24t rings is not far from the difference in a compact 50-34t set, so it might work.
Crankset - Deore FC-M617 38-24t
Cassette - Tiagra CS-HG500 11-32
Chain - KMC x-10
Bottom Bracket - Deore SM-BB52
Cables - Jagwire Road Pro
Brakes - Tektro rx-5 mini v

Headset - Ritchey Comp Logic
Handlebar - FSA Vero
Stem - Ritchey Comp 4-axis
Seatpost - Ritchey Comp 2 bolt
Saddle - Charge Spoon

Fenders - SKS Longboards
Rack - Tubus Logo or Cargo

I have been genuinly impressed with the compination of Tiagra 4700 STI levers and Tektro rx-5 mini v brakes on my road bike, which is why I want to use them again in this build.

I'm looking for any comments and opinions on why this is or isn't a good spec.

Thanks.