Old 03-15-17, 11:23 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
@Tourist in MSN Based on all of the good reviews here about Amtrak bike-friendliness, I looked there first. Whitefish is about as close as I could even get to Banff. So lets say I booked a train to Whitefish. After all the stops, I my trip would then be pushed out to about 32 hours. I could either be miserable sitting in a coach seat ($232) for 32 hours or pay $1150 for a roomette, and probably still be miserable.

I would then need to take a bus or find passage to Banff from Whitefish. Of course, I'd be very willing to be corrected, but after spending a few hours at this now, I do not this that train is the way to go. I did so much want to take the train. I love traveling by train, and have done it extensively both here and abroad.

My revised plan is to fly cheapest and quickest flight to Calgary. Btw, cheapest and quick usually do not go together, another reason I'm leaning toward Delta. So far, in my research, they are in the top spot. Would I dish out $300-$400 (I'm thinking bike+fare) extra not to have an additional 8 hours added to my flight? You betcha.

So I get to Calgary. Hard to say it. I spent many months working in Cagliari, Sardinia, and whenever I'm trying to pronounce Calgary, well, you know. So okay. Calgary with bike in tow. I'm thinking I'll tape a cheapo box-cutter to the frame of my bike before its packed, so that I can dismantle the bike box and ditch it while I'm at the airport. Whether I pedal to Banff, or rent a car - either way, I'll need to leave the box behind.

If I rent a car, I'll lob the bike and my gear into the car and beat it down the road to Banff. I'll sleep in the car that night then turn it in and I'll be ready to roll. Somewhere amongst all this, I can prep the bike and my gear.

Sound like a plan?
Why don't you take an airport shuttle from Calgary airport to Banff? There are a number of them and the Banff airporter will take your bike if it is boxed.`it would be cheaper than a one way car rental.

All skis, snow boards and bikes must be properly packaged for transport (bikes must be in boxes). Any oversized luggage (or special luggage such as musical instruments) will be allowed at the discretion of Banff Airporter.

Calgary Airport Banff Airporter Shuttle Service with Airporter/Airport Shuttle Express