Old 03-17-17, 05:12 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
Bingo, Doug.

....a little wheel experience is a great asset to have on the roadside. Wheels can be massaged, and mildly trued to prevent a poor situation from become a show stopper. Bike shops can be a long way off. Also a good reason to tour with a bike that parts can be sourced on route.
I was sweating over a failing drive wheel for three days on the Canadian Prairies last summer.

Man, I sure look forward to touring this spring.

-Snuts-
That it is... The first time I ever attempted to true a wheel was trail side outside of Mckeesport on the GAP. I spend a lot of time riding the GAP as it's in my back yard. One evening I was doing a quick ride and came across a gentleman with a broken spoke, he had ridden from DC, was less than 20mi from the Point and was dead in the water. We got to talking and he had no idea how to fix the spoke, nor did I, another guy on a recumbent rolled up and was willing to give advice but not do anything. I opted to attempt to get get the wheel, less one spoke, true enough to get to the Waterfront... Following advice from the bent guy I was able to get the wheel relatively true and rode as far as the Waterfront with the guy. I can only assume he made it to the Point but at the very least he had options. I had wanted to understand wheels prior to that but had to figure it out after that experience and am glad I did.