ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
If I were you, I wouldn't skip over the issue of your LBS telling you a 32 spoke wheel was fine.

I'm "only" 240 and I was popping spokes on a 32 spoke wheel on my Escape. LBS got tired of fixing the spokes, so they ordered me a 36 spoke wheel. Nowhere near the cost of a hand-built wheel and I haven't broken a spoke since; I usually do 300-400 miles a month and weekend rides can be over some rough terrain for a hybrid.

You might also consider a wider tire. I run Schwalbe Mondial 42mm tires.
This would be a prime example of a bike shop wheel guy not knowing how to properly adjust a wheel. 32 spokes for a 240 is plenty. If he worked on it more than once, it's his fault more than one broke. I was 240 and put 13 000 on a 28 spoke 23m tire no problems. Especially on your hybrid, 32 is more than plenty with wide tires. People use 36 spoke wheels when they can't adjust a 32 or fewer. I put anywhere from 5,000-7000 miles per year on my bike. Trust me, you neef a real wheel mechanic. Not being sarcastic, but a 32 is fine for a 240 pound hybrid cyclist. Just because someone works in a bike shop does not mean they are good with wheels. I've had shops tell me I was too big at 230 for 28 spoke 23 m tires. They couldn't keep the wheel straight. I tore it down and rebuilt it and that is the set I put 13,000 on before I gave them to a buddy. Most wheel guys I have met at bike shops are lacking in wheel skills. If that 32 didn't work for you on a hybrid, it wasn't the wheel.