View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 01:35 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Huh? You imagine posting on a public forum is a private conversation? I guess I really don't know how these forum thingys work. I always thought that was what a PM was for.

But back to what your coach once said. Every touring tire I have ever used could be stood up against a wall in some way so I am just wondering what he meant by that and how it pertained to touring? You offered it in a public forum in a thread about touring tires so I figured maybe he/she was a touring coach and knew something I didn't or, maybe, you just said something out of context that had nothing to do with the subject at hand. In those cases I find it best to confirm before jumping to conclusions.

I'm sorry if that offended.

You also said:

Which runs contrary to my experience. I used 1.75 Marathon Plus tires across Western Canada last September and found them to ride pretty smoothly. Did 174km's one day. Did Golden to Revelstoke in one day, Kamloops to Merrit, Merrit to Hope etc... All big mileage days with plenty of elevation. Not as fast as my 1.5 CST Ciudads perhaps but I had to balance that against the debris I expected to encounter along the TCH for a couple of thousand KM's. Those supple Ciudads flat out fairly easily.

If the OP asked for fast I would probably say high pressure thin tires. If they asked for comfortable I would say fatter and lower pressure. If they asked for tough I would say Marathon Plus. But that's just me answering the question. I get it that others answer differently by suggesting things that aren't even related to the question to begin with.
of course one can do 174km or 250km on Schwalbe concrete tires, no problem at all. question would be: how does it feel like, compared to lighter faster tires....