Thread: Build help
View Single Post
Old 03-21-17, 12:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,486 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxe
This is where I read about the incompatibility of 5700 front D with other cranks. Obviously I don't know this first hand, hence the post
Add http. I can't add a link as I don't have enough posts yet to do that
janheine.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/trouble-with-sti-triples/
What gearing do you want in the end? What would be the tooth count of your 3 rings and what would the cassette range be?

Jan Heine has forgotten more than I will ever know about cycling, but I disagree with only Shimano chainrings can be used with a Shimano front derailleur on triples. He is, in the end, running a business. That article ends with a well worded plug for how his products dont fall victim to the typical road triple issue of poor chainring selection. Not saying he shouldnt be trusted as he has a lot of data to back up conclusions he writes about(especially when it comes to wider tires, which again he sells), just that perhaps he is sticking to the official stated limitations when actual use shows the limitations arent accurate.
Bianchi Volpe (2014) Specs This isa 2014 Bianchi Volpe with an FSA Vero triple mated to 10sp Tiagra drivetrain.