View Single Post
Old 03-21-17, 05:35 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Greggster
A couple more thoughts on flat vs drop bars, fat vs skinny tires:
Orlando has made some bike-centric improvements by adding bike lanes and bike paths wherever they can. But they often fall short because some roads are too narrow and shop keepers insist on maintaining convenient parking. We're also experiencing a lot of road maintenance around town, so, bike lanes often end where construction or a row of parked cars begins. It adds interest for me since I have to constantly juggle between the road, sidewalk, and the occasional dirt/grass path. This is what the hybrid was built for – and it makes me wonder how the road biker contends with these challenges. My impression is that many of them feel that they are entitled to the road as they zip through dangerous passages at a fast clip, and they may well be. But we've also experienced a lot of bicycling deaths due to collisions with cars. I can't help but think that riding fast, in a "heads-down" posture has something to do with it. So I've adopted a personal protocol for street riding. I've relinquished the desire for speed in exchange for a more casual, sightseeing appeal. With flat/riser bars and fat tires, I feel confident negotiating curb cuts and rough pavement. The "heads-up" posture facilitates readiness for sudden door and pedestrian hazards with my hands always near the brake levers. A quick trip for me averages 17mph, but I'm just as happy at 13mph. I think this attitude is in keeping with the better spirit of the adventure, which can also affect the way car drivers react to your presence. What do you think?

I like how you think.