Old 03-22-17, 12:19 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
@sarals At some point in time, you have to decide which horse to ride. You have a coach...listen to him and ask him how to do a flying 200 or a 500 or whatever.

I am happy to respond but I do not want to cause confusion. Many times people say the same thing but in different ways due to more detailed knowledge of the situation.

With respect to Mark R. A biblical passage by JC comes to mind modified as follows: Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto Mark the things that are Mark's.

Mark has won everything. Road, TTs, track, sprinting, pursuiting. At track he was won endurance and sprints at the national and world level. He can turn on the fast twitch or slow twitch and has a huge aerobic engine.

We all want Mark to continue to believe whatever he believes to be true while we figure out something else that may work to beat him.

Povey's sprint clinics can be good and sometimes not so good. We had a great experience in LA with him and Dave Le Grys and when they came to Hellyer it was poor.

This is the problem with instruction and coaching in general for cycling...it is spotty. For example, one can take a David Ledbetter golf clinic and get a high quality clinic that is repeatable at different venues and is proven to work. Cycling seems much more fractured. Ideas abound on how to do this and that and how often to do it.

My advice is as you listen to different racers and coaches keep in mind that few are highly educated in the area of human performance and rely on handed down ideas. It is more like an apprenticeship versus going to medical school and becoming a doctor.

Each athlete is left with figuring out what works for them.