View Single Post
Old 03-30-17, 11:20 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Retired now but I have done my share of rain commuting. I never owned a car until I was in my 30s. Lived in Massachusetts, Michingan and around San Francisco Bay. All get 38-42" of rain/year. (Well, not all of Massachusetts' and Michigan's precipitation comes down wet, but that's another issue.)

I used different strategies at different times as my rides changed, clothing options changed and weather changed. (Needing to be at work, not having a car and not having access to public transportation forces onto become quite adoptable.) I figured out a lot of tricks. Comfortable feet in wet shoes? Easy. Put your bare foot in a produce bag. Then socks as usual. Then another produce bag and a thin pair of those old man's stretchy socks that come up really high to keep everything in place. Your socks will not see either outside water or sweat and will be clean and dry, ready for the ride home.

Ben