View Single Post
Old 03-31-17, 12:44 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I work within three blocks of One-on-One, live within 3 blocks of the Angry Catfish, and the Freewheel in Cedar/Riverside is two blocks off the bike path on my commute.

All three have received some of my hard earned dollars.

The bicycle graveyard at One on One is something you have to experience but honestly lots of folks, including myself at times, have been put off by their... um, unconventional approach to customer service. They basically ignore you. If you want some help with anything, including just paying for a part, you'll often need to ask. Otherwise you'll wait a long time. People they know seem to get a more personal touch. On the other hand, I did get an offer for a free lube from Geno himself when he observed my rusting chain while riding on the train one winter.

You can also get a sandwich and coffee.

Angry Catfish - definitely an upscale place. Not somewhere you're going to find many bargains. They also sell coffee and pastries from the awesome donut shop next door. They have indoor and outdoor seating. I'm impressed with any bike shop that has the hutzpah to open in a Minneapolis Winter.

Freewheel is definitely more of a conventional bike shop. I used to do a group ride that they organized and I've met several of their staff. Their Midtown location is right on the Greenway. Of the three, they're the ones I'd prefer to visit, but because Angry Catfish is so close, that's where I usually go if I need something quick.

Another place is The Hub which is a co-op. They have a smaller salvage yard which has some organization to it (compared to One-On-One). They also used to rent tools and space so you can work on your own bike. I'm guessing they still do but I haven't been there in awhile.

Last edited by tjspiel; 03-31-17 at 12:48 PM.