Old 04-04-17, 09:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
My first thought is that some Peugeot forks are be made of pretty low grade seamed blades. I would not consider using them for touring with a front load.

But others were made of decent high strength alloy steel and just like current blades with today's stuff these old ones are very worthy of mods.

Lowrider top mounts don't need to be cross drilled. Hour glass stay mounts have been brazed on the outside of blades for many years.

Think about how a fork is made. It is initially brazed/welded as a fork then the braze ons are usually added as a second step. There is no real difference in results as to when this second step is done. Minutes or years... As always this assumes proper brazing techniques, set up/prep and such.

As to drop out slot dimensions- unless the drop outs are of an extremely slim design (and I highly doubt this) removing a mm or so of slot width won't matter. But doing so is easer said then done. Care must be taken to end up with a blade length symmetry and not too wide a slot to allow the axle to not sit consistently in one location. You're dealing with fork alignment, not a hard aspect to get right but also not hard to get wrong. While not as agreed to, filing down the axle to be able to slide into the current drop out slot is a less one way street then modding the fork is. Andy.