View Single Post
Old 12-21-05, 01:41 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I started riding (seriously) at age 58 in March, 1998. In June of that year I did the Ride the Rockies - a multi-day several hundred mile tour of the Colorado mtns and passes - and I did it on a mtn bike (with slicks).

It doesn't take 2-3 years for that sort of thing, although, as you have more years in, you learn more and get a bit "ride smarter."

It is extremely individual and dependent upon drive, motivation, genes, prior physical condition, time for riding, etc.
Agree. 1st year you are learning the intricacies of bike riding. You should be able to do, providing you have the fitness and spent enough saddle time, a century ride.2nd year is when you find your limits, strengths and weakness's but in the 3rd year things start happening.

I am 58 and still improving on my times for certain rides. Find that I have to train harder and longer to retain my fitness. but "it" is still there. I still have to cope with the odd days when things do not go right, or the hill got steeper from last month, but not as many as I was 10 years ago.

Spike Milligan