berts
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
For a 50 yo cyclist who is essentially just starting to ride seriously (100 miles/week), at what age can you expect to peak in terms of century best times ? A thread in the training forum indicated that it takes 2-5 years to become a seasoned cyclist, but realistically I ain't getting any younger.
Age is not the factor to consider since peak physical performance occurs at a much younger age. Your personal peak however with the given limitations and potentials, may be reached within two years. I compete in races and you are already riding as much or more than I. Peaking may also be considered a seasonal or periodic physical state, thus for example during three weeks in July you peak and the rest of the year is spent either recuperating, maintaining or building to the next peak. A seasoned cyclist is one who has years of experience on the bike and may never have peaked in his life. Century best time is not a specific goal thus I would suggest revising it by setting a realsitic time objective for time trialing 20 miles (for example). There are too many variables in 100 miles to really make performance comparisons.

Wishing you best of luck in attaining your goals.