RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
So you only need this for like 2 months.
More like 5-6, it is not unusual to get isolated rainy days in Oct--Apr. In Jan/Feb it rains often enough it may actually be worth monitoring the weather daily.
Can turn on the computer but not look at one page?
Most of the time if I turn on the computer I get distracted by new emails and would forget to go check a weather page. But more significantly most of the time I don't turn the computer on before I ride to work, so if I remember to check the weather when I check my email, I'm already at work, so no recourse if it starts raining during the day.

Just take the car. Wait, you have to unlock it, turn the ignition on, look behind you and maybe use a turn signal. Yikes. Waaaay too much going on.
Disregarding the silliness, if I drive it is not possible to forget to unlock it or turn the ignition on. If I pull the door handle and the door doesn't open, that reminds me to go get my keys.

For the same reason, I carry a tiny garage door remote on my keychain because that way it is impossible for me to forget my bike lock key (because I can't leave the house without closing the garage door which I can't do unless I have my remote which is attached to my keys -- well, I guess I could forget to close the garage door, but that particular problem is not one I have)

Patagoinia houdini wind/rain shell is like 5 oz or so, packs up small. Just carry that.
My ikea poncho cost less than 10 bucks, packs into itself, I don't know how that compares in size to this jacket, but it's only 8oz so it can't be that much bigger, and already it annoys me to have it in the way of my other stuff all the time, plus rain paints. Besides, I'm not going to pay $60 for a raincoat that will get only 3-4 days of use per year, I'm way too cheap for that.

So many easy options available. That require a miniscule effort. Yikes.
Miniscule effort every day is exactly what I want to avoid, because most days, that's wasted miniscule effort. Fortunately, IFTTT is an option that is available that I have already set up for myself, so problem solved ZERO effort required going forward. Zero is better than miniscule.

Last edited by RubeRad; 04-20-17 at 11:42 AM.