Old 05-01-17, 06:37 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
26 x 34 with a 559 wheel is pretty low. Correct that spinning is key, as is staying relaxed generally and especially on the bars. Agree with Blazing about not having the seat too reclined and about relaxing.
Thanks for the tips JanMM,

My basic plan now is to get familiar with the bike on mostly level ground and on my own first, then work up to more serious climbs and possibly group rides later. My primary concern is not to be dangerous to myself and others .
So I want to be totally confident and in control of the bike first.

We have those short steep climbs here in SoCal too but we also have very long and not so steep climbs. From Encanto Park in Duarte up to Crystal Lake Café, for example, it's 25 mi. with 5,000 ft. of climbing. Nothing super steep but a lot of 7% and 8% with a couple of ramps up to 10%.

From Glendora up to Mt. Baldy Village is 21 mi. with about 4,500 ft. of climbing, mostly 5% and 6% with rare ramps up to 8%. That will probably be my first serious climb attempt.

We also have club rides every Tues. and Thur. evening but those require a lot of stops and starts. Some climbing too, of course, but nothing super long. I'm also a bit concerned about what I've read here about lack of stability at low speeds. Hopefully practice with eliminate most of that? Or is it just a given?

Rick / OCRR