Old 05-20-17, 01:12 AM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a 50/34 x 12-28. Why? It's what came with the bike.

And for the terrain around here, the gearing is more than sufficient. A few pros and cons from experience:

Triples. You can't beat the range. However, regardless of how well I think I've adjusted the front der., I inevitably have chain drops. It's quite frustrating grinding up a hill and having that happen or even thinking it might. The triples I've used have been low and mid tier component groups so who knows, maybe this never or rarely happens on the highest end groups.

On the road, the middle ring just feels right. Off road, I climb in the small ring, and descend in the middle ring. The big ring is usually reserved for road descents often on the way home.

Compact double: I'm not fond of it. Only the 5 highest gears in the big ring are quiet. Except cross chained, the small ring is quiet in most all gears. However, I often find I have to shift into the big ring. This means noisy gears.

I don't think I've seen any threads about the noise issue but it is annoying.

I do think that 10 speed is the crossover point where gearing becomes noisy because of more extreme chainlines. I don't notice the problem of a noisy drivetrain in my 8 or 9 speed systems and certainly it was not an issue when I rode 7 speed.

Who knows what the future holds for drivetrains. Is it possible to get to 12 speeds or 13 without extreme chainlines and attendant noise and wear issues? Who knows.