Old 05-20-17, 07:43 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@omnivor, maybe you would do better if your intervals were less intense. Needing a week to recover sounds like an indication you did something wrong. The more I do intervals, the more I enjoy them. But I haven't started enjoying pushups yet.
This takes me back to when I first started doing intervals. It use to be when I first started that I would feel like crap for a whole week after multiple sessions of very tough intervals, so bad that I had the feeling of being "over trained" with a fog-like feeling in my head and my resting HR would be really high. I won't argue that I over-did-it, but over time I stopped having these intense feelings of being over-trained. I still get tired and have to take time off, but I can't remember when the last time I've had that really bad feeling of being over-trained.

I can use weightlifting as an analogy. When I first started I would be very, very sore after a tough session, but over time it becomes very difficult to get that same feeling of soreness. I can now do things like deep squats, both in heavy weight and high reps and not feel much soreness the next day; however, I will feel weak and need recovery, but I'm don't have that feeling of "out of commission" like I use to.

I do believe we older folks have to push ourselves, because nature is constantly pushing against us, i.e. the force of ageing. If you do easy spinning and plateau, you won't be able to stay on that plateau; the effects of ageing will knock your ass off