mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Ball Bearing
"Australia ‘world’s worst place for cyclists’, says Danish rider who’s circled the globe...".
For what it is worth, doesn't necessarily match my experience during my trip (I am in midst of riding across my sixth continent and have ridden in a little over 30 countries).

One thing that may explain some of the discrepancy: Australia is a surprisingly urban country, at least if you add up what percentage of population lives in Capital cities or adjoining metro areas (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart, Canberra, Darwin).

I did visit each of these cities, but spent very little time in them e.g. 2 days Sydney, 2 days Melbourne, 2 days Adelaide, etc. I'm pretty sure I spent less than 10% of my trip in metro areas where greater than 80% of the population lives and likely more than 80% of my time in areas with less than 5% of the population.

So mine was more experience of someone cycling around Australia than the more typical Australian cyclist.

Did I have an automobile interaction I recall in 234 days in Australia?: sure. Was it the worst place I've cycled?: absolutely not.