View Single Post
Old 12-23-05, 04:31 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wagathon
I am thinking about swapping out a 80 mm Psylo suspension fork for a rigid, suspension-corrected fork, e.g., Kona Project 2 (triple butted, CrMo, 1 1/8 inch, 26").

This would be on a Salsa Bandito hardtail. I'm more interested in a hill climbing beater with high pressure street tires--maybe a mini tourer--than an off-roader.

However, I'm wondering about a possible lack of comfort of the Scandium frame for much road use over, e.g., 20 miles. Maybe soften up the ride a little with a carbon MTB fork and some seatpost suspension?

Just curions if anyone else has done this with good results?

Thanks
A scandium frame is stiff, but not as stiff as some materials and I am thinking of aluminium when I say this.
I actually did this change on a stiff Steel frame a few years ago , thanks to not liking suspension. The Project2 Triple butted fork is probably the best rigid fork you can get, so good choice on that. If you are staying on the road, then You will be fine. I had to put very stiff Suspension forks back on to replace my project 2's after I found that it was beginning to hurt on the fast downhills offroad at eye sight "Blurred" speed. The suspension forks helped downhill but I still curse them uphills and on the flat.

For my road rides on the Solo- Bianchi Aluminium frame- I tighten up the suspension forks so that they almost do not work, and am fine for around 60 miles on the road. Further than that and I would think about a suspension post or different saddle. I use the continental Grand Prix tyres at 100psi and they are a superb 26" road tyre.

Spike Milligan