DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by stumpjumper

For $750, you get an AL frame, low end RST fork (65mm travel?? yikes!) no-name wheels, low-end brakes, the bottom rung shimano shifters, no-name crank... I can do better for half the price at my LBS. If $750 is your approximate price range, look into a Specialized Rockhopper. You wont be disapointed.
Skip the Hummer label and knock $200 off the pricetag by getting the bike directly from Montague. Although, even at that price ($550 as listed on Montague's website) I agree that the component spec is really low-end. One could do better.

My personal opnion is anything that needs to be rebadged with a currently-popular suv name must not be able to stand on its own merits.
Well, I wouldn't go so far as that but I would definately agree that it's probably costing more than it's worth. I understand that the Ferrari-Colnago (yes, I know it's not an SUV label) MTB is a pretty nice bike. Is it $12,000 worth of nice? Hell no.

Remember the Jeep mountain bikes? Blech.
Ugh! Don't even get me started on the Jeep branding. As a Jeep owner, I detest all the crappy "accessory" branding they've done by slapping the label onto crappy products (Jeep boombox, Jeep luggage...) and marking up the price. It just deteriorates the name in the eyes of the clueful.

FWIW, there are some higher end Jeep branded MTBs that are not bad performers (not spectacular) but they're still overpriced for what you get and they do scream "poseur".