View Single Post
Old 06-19-17, 07:43 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Bob, you asked if anyone could spot a crack in the cog a few posts back, none I can make out but what about a crack in just the lower portion of the two that thread into the body. If a crack was present there and it spread under load might the cogs skip then?

Just a thought from reading through all the replies from a couple of the knowledgeable guys here. I have only read about these freewheels, and seen one, out in the wild.

Bill
If only my Dad were still alive and working in his Quality Control lab at Martin's. He'd be able to take this in and look carefully at it under a high powered microscope.

Originally Posted by John E
Admittedly a bit along the lines of "Doc, it hurts when I do this." .../... "Then, don't do that." but:

Why would a cyclist torque down on the smallest sprocket?

Everyone in this thread agrees they are rare, but were not 14-21 Cyclo Competition the default PA/PR/PX-10 freewheel in the early 1970s? At Bikecology we replaced a lot of those with 14-26 or 14-28 Cyclos and Atoms, because most folks shared my view that 45/21 is a bit tall for a bottom gear.
John, I wondered the same thing. I invited the owner to view this thread and let me know if I'm missing something, but I've not heard back from him in a couple of days.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com