View Single Post
Old 12-26-05, 10:29 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Toshi-

You're having some rotten luck

Don't' forget that these clicks are often something other than what you first think they are. You've gotten some good advice on this thread so far. Couple things I''d add:

- You can use a rotary wire brush and a drill, stick the brush in from the right side of the bottom bracket and move it around so that it "unscrews" the schmutz from both sides of the shell, then take WD-40 and a rag and do a good clean up inside ("facing," by the way, ensures that both halves of the bb shell are flat and properly aligned with the bearings. This shouldn't be a factor here, IMO)

- Clean the threads of the BB. Give it a good coating with either anti-seize, grease, or a combo of grease and teflon tape (lots of opinions on this. I like anti-seize, too), and re-torque

- Try the bike

- If the clicking is still there, I'd do the same thing -- one thing at a time -- to the chainring bolts, then the cranks, then the pedals, and then the cleats on your shoes (ok, the wrench probably wasn't wearing your shoes when he duplicated the click, but ....)

Good luck!