View Single Post
Old 12-27-05, 09:40 PM
Missy C

Bikes: Searching for one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too late, I'm already psyched! I'm already window/screen shopping for clothes and shoes. Ha...

I am pretty amazed at the prices of some of the bikes. I have a feeling that you have a higher-end cycle if you have to get a "beater" for the routine stuff, probably a lot of you do, eh? My husband has no idea what's in store..lol. He may regret that offer a couple months ago of, "hey, why don't we get some bikes?" Of course, it was just a fleeting thought for him. He works in the medical field and works long hours. I, on the other hand, am seriously looking for a new form of exercise that will get me out of the house, and I have chosen this because it is a lot more realistic "in my mind" than jumping around in an aerobics class or trying to twist myself into a pretzel. It's something I can conceivably do for years to come and not a trendy waste of money.

I am a little frightened at where this could lead actually! I'm already, just after signing on here, planning on about $100 more than I started with. If they let me make payments, the amount could increase yet again. I've already given myself a cycling allowance each pay day, and I don't even have a bike yet.

I am sitting here contemplating rearranging my living room, so it has a new safe and dry home where I can fiddle with it. I can just imagine your dining room! lol. Also, this probably is a great family activity/sport. I don't have children, but it really sounds like a great thing to do. Who doesn't like to ride a bike? The kids probably love your passion.

Btw, I was reading on the article mentioned above for getting the right fit. Do they really do all that at a bike store for you? That's pretty awesome if they do.

Also, should I get shoes after the bike? It looks like shoes are made for different bikes?

I have a lot of reading to do here, so I've upgraded my membership here off the bat. More than happy to actually. I'm a rather methodical thinker, and I want to know everything about everything. My passion has been computers, but I'm burnt out, and I think that's about to change in a big way.

Hey, I'm already lonely riding my bike...lol. Contemplating where and how to find some girls to ride with. I don't really know anybody here. I've been stuck in my office like a prisoner for three years now. My husband called, and I rattled on about all the advice and my decision to go with a local bike store. I was talking about reflectors and lights and city ordinances, which I've yet to look up, and he said, "you're not planning on riding after dark are you?" Ahhh, yeah. Maybe morning, noon and night if I get the right bike. I think I'm scaring him!

Yes, I can see where this could become a real obsession! I did read though that previous MI (myocardial infarction) patients can lessen their risks of another heart attack by up to 50% by cycling a few miles a day. I could probably lower my cholesterol, lose some weight, build muscle, and improve my achy knee syndrome. Heck, that alone is worth the price of admission!

The only drawbacks I see at this time is the weather here in the summer. It gets extremely hot and humid for months at a time. I'm sure there are helpful gadgets for that though.

I think my doc and cardiologist will be very pleased with my decision! I will have to read on and see what health benefits people in my age group have experienced. I suppose this would be the time to quit smoking too.

Can't wait to get let loose in the bike store! Zoom, zoom..