Old 07-16-17, 11:35 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Everyone tries to make this a personal thing ... Obviously each of us needs to make a personal choice ... on Everything.

The controversy here has been whether discs are 'better" In General.

And this latest video just highlights what all the honest folk already new.
While I agree, to me it stems from the whole "fake news" debacle. People like to tout disc brakes like they're the "be-all-end-all" braking solution for bicycles. When in reality, they're not. They're really only useful in situations where most people don't even ride, and EVEN THEN the difference is marginal. 8 seconds over 5k downhill with lots of sharp curves? I can almost guarantee you those 8 seconds will be made up in aero gains from the rim brakes in the resulting flat section.

I mean geeze, how many of you have a road with 11 serious curves which require heavy braking in 5k? I'd imagine the number is probably around 2%... maybe. The "biggest" hill within 20 miles of me requires me to brake for exactly ONE turn. And that's with 1200 feet of descent.