View Single Post
Old 07-19-17, 01:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I have a hill nearby with a few 15% to 18% stretches, and an average grade of 10% over four miles. I struggle to do this on a conventional bike with low gearing, and having the option to stand on particularly difficult stretches.

Can a recumbent do this (for someone of similar abilities), or what is the limitation compared to a conventional bike? (I'm just curious. I have zero experience with this.)
Being from relatively flat Michigan, I'm not much of an accomplished hill-climber, even on an upright. In past years, I've ridden in the Tennessee mountains on my bents, and done 5-6 mile grades which averaged 8-12%. And, like JanMM, I've done Hilly Hundred in S. Indiana in which there are several named hills of 13-20% max grades. They're hills, though; not mountains. so I think the longest one of them is only 1.7 miles long and the average grade is considerably less than the max grade. Climbing is a lot of work, but the downhills are usually worth it! Coasting DOWN the Tennessee grades at 50+ mph for miles at a time was exhilarating!