Old 07-21-17, 11:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I like Skyrider1's take on it. I'm always in favor of body modification rather than equipment modification, which so frequently involves chasing a nebulous solution, as we see. For one thing it's free. For another, it's unlikely to do any permanent damage.

I'd also say . . . 95 cruising cadence, 85 climbing cadence. If you don't have the gears for that, get them. That's money that will help a rider perform no matter what the problem. If you can't comfortably run those cadences, that's part of the problem right there.

When I ride, I try to pedal so that I can't usually feel pressure on the ball of my feet during the downstroke. I concentrate on feeling pressure in the heel cup. A good introduction to this concept is getting on your trainer and trying to hold a 120 cadence without bouncing. The trick is to keep your foot flat and pedal with the uppers, so that there seems to be a cushion of air between the bottom of your foot and the shoe sole.

This is also body modification in the realm of neuromuscular coordination. If you can't hit 120, pedal steadily for up to 1/2 hour, no breaks, at the highest cadence you can pedal without bouncing. Warm up and cool down for 15 minutes each. With practice, you'll be able to hold that cadence without going out of zone 2. Itty bitty gears. The idea isn't to produce power or speed, just to teach your legs to go around properly.