View Single Post
Old 07-29-17, 09:41 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Staypuft1652
I've had some shimano m520's about a year, roughly 1000 miles on them. Only commuting use, no rain or offroading. While I weigh a substantial amount, I would expect these to last a lil while longer, but they're both audibly clicking/grinding now. I know they are rebuildable, but the cost does not seem justifiable seeing as they go for $25 or so new. Does anyone know of a more robust spd style pedal that's reasonably priced ~$50 or so? Got some candy 1's but they eat cleats. TIA.

Edit: Let me know if I am being unreasonable.
I have had the same problems, I assume that I got more miles out of them. There is a cheap shimano tool for taking them apart link to tool

The M520 are cheaply made, they have 62tiny ball bearings (3/32"** that can get crapped up. This happened to a couple of sets of the M520s.

For low priced pedals got some VP vx race a couple of years ago for about $20. I like some of the higher end VP's because they have sealed cartridge bearings.

The shimano xt pedals are a better design and use 24 larger ball bearings, I haven't had problems with my XT's but they aren't cheap ~$60.