View Single Post
Old 08-03-17, 03:23 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If its hot and I had to do a hard ride with that choice (Gatoraid or water), that news would, for me, feel like a sentence. I have a hard time getting Gatoraid down in large enough quantities to stay both hydrated and in good shape with electrolytes. Yes, it is better than nothing.

Now Vitalylte (the old Gookingaid aka E.R.G is a different story completely. On hot days I down water bottles mixed with 2 scoops of that in water, 1/3 of the WB per gulp. It stays down and feels good immediately.

I haven't studied why I have trouble with one and do so well on the other. That Vitalyte works very well for me is all I need to know. (And it has since I raced New England in the '70s, riding many hot, humid and hard days. Works just as well at 60+ yo on 100F+ and dry Oregon weather like we have right now. (I don't work as well but I cannot fault Vitalyte for that! I stopped being a 20-something racer a long time ago.)

Ben
That is interesting since they are both about 40 calories/scoop of sucrose/dextrose/fructose combo and similar enough sodium/potassium levels