View Single Post
Old 08-07-17, 10:37 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Dahon Uno with rear drums?

It's an old story: boy buys a Dahon Mu Uno with the intention of putting on freewheel rear wheel and a rear brake. Pictures shows a hole in the seatstay bridge, so he thinks it would be straightforward to install a long reach caliper. Well, the stays are pretty thick, so the bridge is recessed in there a bit. Nothing that can't be solved with a lot of spacers, but that's a kludge.

Reading around on here indicates that the hole is more for mounting a fender, not a brake. Boy is sad.

A couple of other threads have mentioned a drum brake in passing, but not really delved into them.

Well, let's address it: has anyone put a drum rear brake on a Dahon Uno? I figure Mu or Speed Uno, it doesn't really matter that much.

There's the Sturmey-Archer X-RD hub. Specifically model THSXD.RBAS.AA0 fits a 1-speed freewheel and has a 120mm spacing. I figure the 7-speed version could be made to fit by messing with the spacers.

I would hope that the torque arm lines up with the hole for the coaster brake's torque arm.

So, it seems that the wheel will fit into the frame. Hopefully, the torque arm can be attached, even if only with a band clamp. The cable stop is on the torque arm, so the brake cable (and housing) can probably be simply zip tied to the frame.

Any other possible gotchas to mounting a drum brake to the bike? Has anyone actually done this?

Yeah, fine, someone's going to say that the braking power is poor. That's okay, it's only a rear brake anyway. It's a shame that the hub is only available in a 36 hole version.

Has anyone done a coaster brake to drum brake conversion on anything- folding or not- and have any helpful advice or insight?