acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I would imagine the NuVinci hubs do wear. But, perhaps they are more forgiving to poor shifting and more predictable with failures than other hubs.

I think the basic IGH hubs have a problem that if one doesn't get a clean shift while coasting, then it will wear the gear selector, and eventually begin to skip. Perhaps also a little finicky with shifter adjustment.

Do they do an inspection all all the bikes periodically? A skipping IGH might only be picked up with a test ride which would be expensive.

Anyway, I would imagine CVT hubs are being used due to an expected better/cheaper fleet servicing that would offset the higher parts cost.
I ridden about 45252176483475 city bikes (honestly, probably 100 or so; 12 different in the last year) around Europe when travelling and living around. Everyone I visit has a spare 3-/7-/8-speed IGH parked outside in the constant rain/snow (they never see inside at all.)

I've never had one skip, ever!. On occassion, they fail to shift, but this seems to happen after about 10-20 years of usage and after the thick rubberised coating is worn through due to accident/falling over which allows water to touch the cable.

Buy, I've never had one skip.