Old 08-08-17, 06:29 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Mark,

My apologies....thanks for stepping up! Can you answer a few questions:
1. Why has the Tern forum frame failure thread closed to new discussion for over a year. Also many images were removed. Is there a reason for that?
2. How many frame failures occurred so far? How many from each frame style?
3. What was the fault in the frames?
4. How did Tern decide what to recall? It seems the failures stemmed almost every frame in the lineup ( by reading online ) & the CPSC lists two different factories of production in each of the first two recalls.
5. How many more failures do you anticipate? Over what kind of time horizon?
6. Does Tern have a response to the Japanese government's evaluation of a broken frame? I recall they claimed that it was not strong enough to be used as a bicycle. Am I missing something here?

In order to actually step up, these questions need to be answered. However, I don't expect too much of a response. Actually I can see you playing a victim role here.....since the bee in my bonnet is buzzing

Thanks,
Yan
Wow, if the Japanese stated that, that is pretty damning. The average weight of a japanese man is 150lb's but an american is about 200lbs. Is there a link for that japanese tern information?

Sometimes the difference between a performance frame and a more durable frame is less than 1/2kg often less than 1/4kg and the overall weight loss of a performance bike is also in the components being lighter, wheels, handlebars, drivetrain etc. Being able to claim you have the lightest bike does sell bikes no question but a bit like anorexia its not healthy some people may die or be injured because of it.

Also a bike that might be 1kg lighter than the competition at that price point is insignificant if the rider himself needs to lose a lot of weight anyway. Far more important to get a reliable bike with good components with a strong frame that you don't have to worry about. 1kg heavier bike, 1kg of body weight lost quicker.