Old 08-10-17, 01:53 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
what would it take? multiple deaths? i'm sure you realize it's only by amazing luck that that hasn't already occurred.
Maybe I'm wrong in assuming this but it always feels to me that people take little notice of the weight restrictions on bikes. You get a Specialized bike that has a weight capacity of 136kg/300lbs and lifetime frame warranty and you get a Decathlon BTwin bike that has a load capacity of 100kg which they state includes the bike weight itself which could be 15kg.

http://www.btwin.com/notices/wp-cont...5V_EN_PE12.pdf

So one is about 85/86 kg capacity in real terms and the other is 50kg stronger a huge difference. Of course the btwin bike gets the good reviews thanks to its super light design and low price and the Specialized looks expensive and handles poor in comparison but is actually a much stronger and safer bike. There has been a huge recall of Btwin bikes recently due to frame failures for larger frame sizes of their mountain bikes and I wonder how many of those people were actually within their low weight requirements especially as people tall enough to need the larger frames would be likely to be over the bike's low weight limits.

If a Tern bike has a 95kg or 105kg maximum weight capacity allowing for clothes and things I might want to carry I'm going to need a body weight of maybe 80 or 90kg to be safely in their maximum weight capacity. I realise these Tern frames may actually have failed due to quality issues and inconsistency of manufacturing but assuming they have born the cost of this recall and have improved their bike frames now plus working within their weight limits I would think they would still be a viable option. Sadly the very best weight I've achieved in recent years is about 95kg and I'm aiming to get to 100kg at the moment as I'm north of that figure. I'll probably always be too heavy to be safe on a Tern bike anyway. One thing I won't be buying is a secondhand Tern bike, not knowing its history and who has been riding it yet I actually see the secondhand price of Tern bikes is actually really high.