View Single Post
Old 08-11-17, 07:56 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
Their bikes hold their value much better than almost any other bike... I've been looking for one cheap and I have not been able to find one...
I have two stories about finding them cheap. But this takes a fair amount of searching and the ability to travel on a moment's notice.

Roughly seven years ago, I was perusing Chicago CL on a Sunday afternoon when I saw a NWT pop up for $100. No lie. It was a guy who was selling one that originally belonged to his father. I shot off an email telling him I'd pay $150 if he'd hold it until I got there, about an hour and a half away. He said he would and gave me the address. I rushed down there through Chicago traffic and landed on his doorstep. Nice guy who lived in a working-class neighborhood, had a wife and family.

I start asking him details so I can confirm I'm not buying into stolen property, and he tells me the whole story. Dad had got the NWT custom made for him, but then had succumbed to diabetes later in life and put it away folded in its suitcase, pretty much untouched since then. The seller told me he got a boatload of offers, but something about my email struck him and he held the bike for me. Had the original case, instructions, the whole shebang. He tells me, I don't want $150 from you, I'll be happy to take $100. I tell him, with his wife and kids playing in the backyard, please at least accept $120 so you can take the wife and kids out for a fast dinner someday. He says sure and I go home with the NWT.

Story #2 involves a little more travel. Three years ago, I was scouring nationwide for a Tikit, as I always wanted to try what was then BF's alternative to the Brompton. Found one in a remote corner of Kansas (I'm from Wisconsin). Owner was an 80 year old lady and wasn't interested in shipping, cash deal in person only. So I set up a time to meet with her at her daughter's real estate office so that her daughter could oversee the transaction. I go down there, meet with her and her daughter, check out the Tikit, and hand her the asking price of $350. I remember that as I was folding the Tikit to put it in my vehicle, I hear a male voice from way down the street yelling, "Hey! HEY YOU WITH THE BIKE!" and yelling increasingly louder as he approaches. I thought to myself, nothing good comes from someone yelling at me that way - he probably wanted to take a test ride and never come back - so I just ignored him and pulled out of the parking lot just as he got there. Overhauled the Tikit (it had not been maintained well), swapped the flat bars and twist shifter for drop bars and brifters, and still ride it to this day.