SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighttrain
I appreciate the websites and recommendations in everyone's responses. These are all good sources.

If I can find another cruiser in a trash pile or a "next to free" one that I can use for beach rides I then may go a different direction with the Isla Vista. After a complete teardown and rebuild of the hubs, headset and bottom bracket everything is super smooth. Without breaking the bank I'd like to change out some of the heavier components for lighter ones and end up with a moderately lightweight cruiser. I use the term moderate because I want to retain the cruiser styling and not spend large sums of money.

Squid, thanks for your cruiser tires comparison in another thread. That kind of info is very helpful.
You are welcome.

How much does the Isla Vista weigh? I like it because it's pretty much stripped. Not too many places to lose weight on that bike. No fenders, rims are already aluminum. Looks like a steel quill maybe? Yank the chain guard for a few ounces I guess and replace the steel seat post and handlebar with aluminum pieces. You could replace the Ashtabula OPC with a snazzy three piece crank and ring, but then you are getting into a little more money by the time you buy the adapter and cartridge BB and the crank itself.

Yeah, everyone in the 700c wheel world poo-poos the ThickSlicks big time. And I believe them. The 700c tires are heavy and have a low TPI so I assume rolling resistance is high too. But in the 26" wheel world, the tire really isn't heavy by comparison to the "Norm". I like mine enough that I wouldn't even shop around for a better tire when these wear out. I already know where to find a better and lighter tire, it's just a matter of justifying BIG $$$ for a cruiser tire. But I'm a weirdo so I may go for the Compass tires at some point.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 08-12-17 at 11:57 AM.